1894

Vancouver City Council 1894

Vancouver City Council 1894 Mayor: R. A. Anderson Aldermen: W. F. Salsbury (Ward 1) H. P. Shaw (Ward 1) Henry Collins (Ward 2) C. L. Queen (Ward 2) D. McPhaiden (Ward 3) H. R. McCraney (Ward 3) William Brown (Ward

Mass firing averted; referred to next Council – January 2, 1894

The Health Officer reported two cases of diptheria in December 1893. Council overturns its former decision to allow Oppenheimer Brothers to construct a railway siding to their premises. By-law established to elect an Alderman for Ward No 2 and two

No pay for injured water main worker – January 8, 1894

The Fire Water and Light Committee recommended William Aviy be allowed half time [pay] since his injury working on the water main – Council disallowed. Council approved the Finance committee’s recommendation to write off 240.00 in back taxes.

Final meeting for Council for 1893 – January 15, 1894, 11:00 a.m.

Council for 1893 held its final meeting. John Johnstone to be paid $133.00 for election services.

Committees formed for 1894 – January 15, 1894, 12:00 p.m.

Five Committees established: the Finance Committee, Board of Works, Fire, Water & Light, Health Committee, and Police Committee. This transcript was made in 2019 by Transcribimus volunteer Krystyna Richards original handwritten minutes here City of Vancouver Archives COV S 31

Vancouver needs to borrow $50,000 – January 22, 1894

Letter received from J. Buntzen, Business Manager of the Van Elec. Ry & L Co, stating that a light was to be erected on Granville Street Bridge. The City Clerk was to write to Toronto and Montreal to inquire about

Vancouver officially requests “tide lands of False Creek” from BC – January 29th, 1894

Motion that Council request the Provincial Government to deed the tide lands of False Creek east of Westminster Av to the City in accordance with the motion introduced into the Legislature by Mr. J. W. Horne. The City Solicitor gave

Future Vancouver street lights to be powered with hydro electricity – February 5, 1894

Vancouver City Council directed the City Engineer to look into using hydro-electric energy from the Capilano Dam (pictured) to light streets. Martin Kelly awarded the contract for cutting stone for gutters and curbstones for Hastings and Granville Streets.  James Dixon got the contract to build a basement drain for Granville Street.

$5,000 public works project created – February 6, 1894

$5,000 was set aside for public works to provide employment – married men to be paid $1.75 a day; singles $1.25.  A by-law to finance Granville Street improvements by selling debentures was introduced. Decision was delayed on a public request

Relief street work to begin on Friday – February 12, 1894

Relief funding allotted at $1,000 to each of the five Wards; Aldermen to decide what street work in their ward is needed most, and hire foreman. Work to begin next Friday morning. City treasurer to ensure street gang workers will

Job Layoffs, Salary Cuts for City Employees – February 19, 1894

Council laid off some Civic Employees and reduced salaries of those remaining by 10 – 50%, though the decision was not unanimous: the vote was 4 supporting, 2 opposed, 1 abstaining. The Fire Water and Light Committee’s request for a

Champion & White ousted from city crematory – February 26, 1894

Champion and White were given one month’s notice that their services (operating the city garbage burning crematory) were no longer required. Aldermen Brown, Bethune, Queen, Shaw and McFaiden appointed as a committee to manage the water works. The Police Magistrate

Council empowered to borrow $100,000 – March 5, 1894

Council completed a by-law allowing the City to borrow $100,000 against the current year’s anticipated income. The Provincial Jail in New Westminster charged $462 for board of Vancouver prisoners. The Finance Committee allowed the City Band $480 for the current

Vancouver asks BC to incorporate High Schools, build University here – March 8, 1894

The meeting formed an official resolution to incorporate High Schools in British Columbia and to situate the Provincial University in Vancouver. This transcript was made in 2019 by Transcribimus volunteer Sharon Mowat Illustration: Vancouver Archives Item AM54-S4-: Mil P111 [1905,

Crushed rock confined to Powell Street – March 12, 1894

Tenders to be invited for rock suitable for crushing. Rock to be delivered to the crusher near the wharf at the end of Gore Avenue. Mr. Thynne had applied to build a greenhouse at the corner of Pender and Granville

East End race track closed except by special permission – March 19, 1894

1889 photograph of horse "Forfarshire"

Council ordered the East End [Hastings] race track to be closed and locked, only to be used by prior arrangement with Council. S.H. Holmes complained of dirty water coming from a nearby dye works. George E. Trorey offered two tame

New Women’s Ward in hospital will cost $10,000 – March 27, 1894

Vancouver Hospital 1902

$10,000 was set aside for a Women’s Ward in the hospital. Mr Giguere, who had two poll tax receipts, was directed that if he made an affadavit, he would not be charged for them. The issue of appropriating the Vancouver

City takeover of Vancouver’s streetlights moves forward – April 2, 1894

photo of building with street light in foreground

John Potter was appointed Inspector of the Reservoir at $3.00 per day. Mr R. Hughes was allowed to take out a temporary three month license in the absence of his business partner. The takeover of the Vancouver Illuminating Company’s assets

Council supports petition for East End post office – April 9, 1894

Granville Street post office (now Sinclair Center) under construction, 1891

Council supports petition for free postal delivery and branch post office and savings bank in the East End. Cemetery caretaker allowed two weeks’ leave to recuperate from illness. The Oppenheimer brothers complained of surface water flooding a property on St.

Health Committee reviews costs – April 16, 1894

Vancouver Hospital staff 1893

The CPR asked Vancouver to take charge of 74 Chinese lepers. Meanwhile, the Health Committee compared rates for hospital care for mariners, women, children and lepers. Victoria was receiving a subsidy of $330 per year from Ottawa for care of

Street Railway Company must repair its tracks – April 19, 1894

workers laying street railway tracks Vancouver 1893

A special meeting decided that instead of removing its tracks from Vancouver streets, the Street Railway Company be instructed to upgrade its tracks to the satisfaction of the City Engineer. The Mayor was not present at this meeting, and Alderman

Market scales’ measure called into question – April 23, 1894

Alderman Salsbury was allowed to withdraw his resignation. The Welsh Brothers contended that the scales at the City Market were incorrect: the Police Committee recommended that an inspector be hired to test the scales. If the scales were in fact

City Reviews Estimates of Costs and Revenues – April 30, 1894

St. Paul's hospital on Burrard St., Vancouver ca. 1898

Two firemen fined $5.00 each for being intoxicated on duty. The Sisters of Charity, who operated St. Paul’s hospital, given the grade for Pendrell Street. Council appointed a Committee who would look into allegations against the City Engineer. This meeting

Fire Department to buy new Team – May 7, 1894

The Board of Works accepted A.E.E. Clark’s offer to supply the City with crushed rock at $1.22 per cubic yard for a term of five years. Alderman Queen and the Fire Department Chief were appointed to sell the current team

Aldermen Shaw and William Brown added to the Street Railway purchase committee – May 10, 1894

Alderman Shaw and Wm. Brown were added to the Street Railway purchase committee. Several Firemen applied to be insured by the Manufacturers Accident Insurance company. This transcript was made in 2019 by Transcribimus volunteer Sharon Mowat Original handwritten minutes here:

Cemetery needs draining, fence repair – May 14, 1894

Cemetery caretaker Alexander McDonald reported cemetery needed both drainage and repair of the north fence. Miss R. McDowell hired as a nurse at only $10 per month. The Vancouver Electric Railway and Light Company advised it may not put up

Kendal’s crushed rock no longer wanted – May 21, 1894

Some Ward 5 ratepayers objected to splitting the ward in two. Some cattle on Lulu Island were infected with Big Jaw. City Engineer Thomas Tracy gave an estimate of the value of the plant and property of the Vancouver Electric Railway & Light Co, which the City of Vancouver was thinking of taking over. Though Tracy estimated the value at $535,100, the city was only going to offer $380,000. The Board of Works and the Finance Committee were both dissatisfied with the gravel supplied by Mr. Kendal: he was asked to supply three more scows to the city wharf and then cease delivery.

Finance Committee regrets no funds available to provide public parks – May 28, 1894

D. McGillivray to lay a single street railway track on Hastings Street between Cambie & Carrall at $2.28 per foot. The Finance Committee reported the city budget did not permit more public parks for the citizens. The Board of Works recommended approval of W. Godfrey ‘s request that Burnaby Street be opened up one block south of Nicola Street provided the cost did not exceed $50.00. Bylaws for Polling and for Remuneration of the Mayor and Aldermen were finalized.

More street railway tracks to be built on Granville Street – June 4, 1894

D. McGillivray to lay another street railway track on Granville Street between Robson and Hastings. C.O. Wickenden complained of damage to his property by a city contractor during blasting. Seventeen straw mattresses were purchased for the jail. The grade on

Dupont Street sewer request under review – June 11, 1894

From J.M. Holland asking to be allowed to {sewer} connect his building on Dupont Street {today’s East Pender Street} with a four-inch cast iron pipe. Referred to the Board of Health.   Three ladies were prominent this week in city undertakings:  Mrs. Margaret E. White to take over the management of the racetrack; she will be obliged to pay $125 per year and keep the track in good repair and the road leading to it. Mrs. AEE Clark had taken over the City contract to supply crushed rock. The contract had formerly been held by Dr. Kendall. Mrs. Hansel of Victoria had volunteered to nurse the lepers on D’arcy Island. Rev. E.D. McLaren and Mr. J. Balfour asked that the joint Councils of Vancouver and Victoria provide her with a house and furniture.

Arcade Building plans sent back – June 18, 1894

C.O. Wickenden, Architect submitted plans & specifications for Arcade building to be erected at the corner of Hastings & Cambie Streets. The were referred back to the Architect to comply with the provisions of the Fire Limit By-Law. Meanwhile, the

Street Railway By-Law to “Take its Course” – June 25, 1894

Sentell home on Grove Crescent

The City Engineer instructed to examine the “stability” of the Market Hall to accommodate large meetings. A motion to withdraw the Street Railway By-Law was overturned, and the By-Law allowed to “take its course”. Two bondsmen required at $250 each to guarantee the Race Course will be left in good repair at the end of the lease. Dr. Kendall refused to hand over the rock crushing plant “except under certain conditions” although his contract with the City had expired.

Street Railway Purchase By-law overturned – July 9, 1894

market hall and auction shed 1895

By-law proposals for both the street railway purchase and the $60,000 were defeated. All City work in progress which is not strictly within the original Estimates must be stopped as quickly as safety allows. Dr. Kendall has not delivered the

Columbia Avenue lowlands must be drained – July 16, 1894

The Medical Health Officer reported on the unsanitary condition of Dupont Street and urged the draining of the low lying lands south of Dupont Street and east and west of Columbia Avenue. The Provincial government requested $200 to cover the

Alexandra Hospital needs better drainage – July 30, 1894

Council received a request for the chain gang to dig drains around the Alexandra Hospital (pictured). In light of a local epidemic of bovine tuberculosis, Dr. Thomas advised that all milk be scalded before using. Council also passed a new By-law to license and regulate milk vendors was adopted.

All Vancouver Fire Halls to Hear Every Fire Alarm – August 6, 1894

William McGirr given contract to re-roof the Grand Stand at the Jockey Club. The Hudson’s Bay Company asks for a “full” sidewalk in front of its new Water Street warehouse. The telephones of all fire halls to ring simultaneously when an alarm is given. Several complaints of improper drainage and the resulting “very offensive water” to be dealt with by the City Engineer - and the Chain Gang!

$100,000 for Vancouver Street Lighting? – August 13, 1894

Federal Government was “not inclined to bear any cost” in piling under First Narrows. Race track insurance was renewed for both the Grand Stand and the stables. The Union Steam Ship company requests City water connection at the wharf. The

Wilfred Laurier to Receive Official Welcome to Vancouver – August 20, 1894

A reception was arranged for Hon. Wilfred Laurier (not yet Prime Minister of Canada) who was due to visit Vancouver soon. Lomas and Sheridan’s tender of $65 was accepted for replanking the Granville Street Bridge. Other tenders ran as high

Iron & Steel bonus decision delayed – August 27, 1894

1890s Livestock Show at Hastings Park, Vancouver

A detailed proposal to provide a bonus for a future iron and steel factory to settle in Vancouver was overturned, as no proposal had been received. Milk Vendors invited to meet with Health Committee.

New City Assessor Appointed – September 24, 1894

E. Kingcombe was appointed City Assessor at $200 per month salary. Former Mayor M. A. MacLean paid $140 for revision of Voters’ Lists. A quarter plot in the cemetery granted to the late Charles MacAulay free of charge. Water connection granted to the Union Steam Ship Company wharf, with the understanding that any damage be repaired by the Company.

“Fire Escape Act” mandatory for all new buildings – October 1, 1894

Bailey Photo Studio exterior, Vancouver BC, 1894

The Board of Works reviewed an application from the Bailey Brothers for a brick extension at the rear of their store (pictured here). The Fire Inspector to notify architects and building permit applicants that all new buildings must conform to the “Fire Escape Act 1894” passed at the last session of the [British Columbia] Legislature. Mayor R. A. Anderson appointed Aldermen Salsbury, McDowell, McCraney, Franklin and C.L. Brown to draft necessary changes to the Vancouver Charter.

Granville Street to be Paved Between Hastings & Cordova – October 22, 1894

A By-law was drafted to pave Granville Street between Hastings Street and Cordova Street for $4,000. The position of Street Inspector was eliminated. The Fire & Light Committee held off decisions on hiring an electrical engineer and on buying a

Sumas-Vancouver Railway Report Filed, But Not Adopted – October 15, 1894

The Special Committee tasked to investigate delay in building the Sumas-Vancouver Railway gave its report. Though the Committee recommended its adoption; however Council agreed only to file the report. Vancouver to reimburse the City of Victoria $41.59 toward its share

2020

$100,000 raised for Electric Light – October 4, 1894

photo of building with street light in foreground

Electric lighting by-law passed with a majority; five Aldermen appointed to search out best price for lighting. K. Silverman claimed damages against the City for injuries received on Cordova Street.