Mayor: Henry Collins Aldermen: Joseph Coupland (Ward 1) H. P. Shaw (Ward 1) W. H. Gallagher (Ward 2) C. L. Queen (Ward 2) D. McPhaiden (Ward 3) H. R. McCraney – resigned (Ward 3) James Clandenning – elected in byelection
Vancouver City Council for 1894 recommends to incoming Council that a sum be set aside for the Salvation Army’s planned Food and Shelter Home. In the mean time, the number of men employed on the weekly [relief] payroll was to be reduced as soon as possible.
Council for 1894 wrapped up business and heard final reports. Retiring Mayor Anderson and Alderman McDowell empowered to “represent the City in the Legislature to press the passage of the Charter Amendments” One last minute amendment to the City Charter
Vancouver City Council received a delegation of three clergymen who urged the necessity of providing relief work for the unemployed. A By-law to borrow $150,000 for operating costs received second reading.
Vancouver City Council opposed Hon. Theo Davie’s proposed amendment to the Vancouver Charter. Davie’s amendment would have prevented Vancouver from building or developing City gas works, water works, electricity, railways, etc. unless they first purchased the assets of any company providing those services within the City of Vancouver.
By-law to borrow $150,000 for this year’s expenses: loan to be repaid by Dec 31, 1895 from year's expected revenues. Tools and supplies needed for relief work in each ward will be purchased from a variety of different establishments. City Clerk to call for tenders for crushed rock, shovels, picks, etc, as well as for washing and for supply of bread.
The CPR owed the City of Vancouver $661.14 for care of its patients. William Morseby (governor of the Provincial jail in New Westminster) paid $145 for keep of prisoners. The Health Committee empowered to aid Crazy George, who was in
Alderman McCraney was cleared of all wrongdoing in the recent awarding of the electric light contract. Weekly payroll for relief work in each ward was reviewed and approved. The City Engineer to meet with the Indian Agent to settle the
The Finance Committee was authorized to arrange with D. McGillivray in regard to laying streetcar rails on Hastings and Granville Streets. Meanwhile, the Council reminded the Street Railway company that their permission to build on Robson Street had been rescinded in November 1894.
The City Band having given an inventory of its instruments, Alderman Coupland and Alderman McCraney to inspect each instrument, and give the band a final grant of $50. Jennie W. Smith given the laundry contract for the City Hospital. The City Engineer was instructed to have the sidewalk on the west side of Burrard Street between Georgia and Nelson Streets moved to correspond with the sidewalk on the east side.
G.F. Baldwin was put in charge of the Finance & Treasury Department, A. W. Scouller was put in charge of the Health & Plumbing Department, and .J. Brenton was appointed Poll Tax Collector and License Inspector. A By-Law was drafted
G.F. Baldwin placed in charge of the Finance and Treasury department; A. W. Scoullar was appointed Health and Plumbing Inspector. The terms of the lease of Robson, Granville and Hastings Streets by the street railway company were drafted. This transcript
On motion from the Finance Committee, salaries of city employees were reduced. Streetcar tracks on Robson Street to be laid “to admit of there being two tracks if required”. David Evans, who was paid eight dollars to examine the City
The City Treasurer to submit totals for the past three years of fines collected from liquor and gambling infractions. Phone rent for each of the four Fire Halls was reduced from $12 to $9.50 per month each. William Murphy selected to supply police helmets and batons to the Police Department within six weeks. All tenders for police and firemen's uniforms referred back to the Committee.
Monday June 3 1895 was declared a Vancouver half holiday in honour of the visit of the Grand Lodge of the Knights of Pythias. The Chief of Police supplied his customary report on Vancouver’s electric lights, which must have been unsatisfactory, as Council upheld the Fire Water and Light Committee’s recommendation that the City not continue its lighting arrangement with the Consolidated Railway & Light Company.
A team of two men was retained for each of Vancouver’s five Wards, “who will be expected to look after all repairs, ditching, etc” for their own Ward. No work allowed to be done on any City contract “until the
Merchants Hip Tuck Lung etal asked that the Opium License be lowered. Street sweeping contractors Champion and White did not feel able to continue at the old price, but will continue while tenders for a new contract are examined. Teachers’ salaries to be paid on June 28, rather than waiting until after the July 1 holiday. John Courtney, Andrew Gill, and Chas Thompson were hired as firemen, making $45 per month each.
The $500 reward for information about the Sunbury murder from 1890 [ad pictured here] was given to George Morley and Mr. Butler. The Federal government advised they had contributed $1000 toward the keep of the Darcy Island lepers. The proper proportion would be allocated to Vancouver's share of the lepers' maintenance. Water pipes will be installed to the English Bay bathing sheds.
Aldermen Coupland and Gallagher moved that four policemen be dismissed; the Mayor ruled that motion out of order. The Mayor’s decision was upheld four to five. All homeowners were advised to remove “noxious weeds” on their properties and Ward Foremen
Alderman Brown of the Police Committee wanted to dismiss Chief McLaren, Sergeant Haywood, and Officer McLeod. Alderman McPhaiden wanted them reinstated. The matter was laid over to next week’s Council meeting. Mr. T. O. Allen and company granted use of
Clandenning, Sanders and McDonald Take Their Places on Council; McLaren, Haywood and McLeod Dismissed from Police Force – August 5, 1895
Newly-elected Aldermen appointed to the Committees on which the members who resigned occupied positions. S. Astell was refused a laundry license, and his application fee was returned. This transcript was made in 2020 by Transcribimus volunteerDarrin Pezer / Proactive Building
This document was transcribed in June of 2018 by Transcribimus volunteer Susan Willows. original handwritten by-law here 1292 BY-LAW NO. 233 A By-law to amend By-law No. 118, known as a By-Law altering the subdivisions of the City into Wards.