Council “to arrange with the British Columbia Jockey Club for the lease of a site under the control of the club in the eastern park near Hastings sufficiently large for the construction of a Race Course.”
This transcript was made in 2015 by Transcribimus volunteers Margaret Sutherland
and Joy Marie Vasquez
City of Vancouver Archives
Series 23-A Volume 3 pages 13-17
[volume 3 page 13]
Vancouver May 13th 1889
The Council met on Monday May 13th 1889 at 7:30 P.M.
Present Aldermen Brighouse, Brewer, Clark, Costello, Horne, Mason, McConnell, Oppenheimer, Salsbury and Whetham.
Moved by Alderman Oppenheimer seconded by Alderman Clark. That Alderman Horne be appointed Chairman in the absence of the Mayor. Carried.
From J. B. Babington, Pound Keeper asking to be furnished with a horse etc. Referred to Finance Committee.
From Sister Francis acknowledging receipt of contribution from the Aldermen. Filed.
From F. G. Vernon C. C. of L. & W. asking to be furnished an estimate of the cost of opening up the streets from the proposed public park to the City boundary. Referred to the Board of Works.
From the Hon. F. G. Vernon acknowledging the receipt of a communication re the gravelling of the New North Arm Road. Filed.
From the Post Master General acknowledging the receipt of a resolution of Council re additional letter boxes. Filed.
[volume 3 page 14]
From J. M. Browning et al praying that the sidewalk on Burrard Street be extended to Hastings Street. Filed.
From Black and Wood asking to be allowed to fill in alley way between Granville & Seymour Streets and be allowed 15 cts therefor. Referred to the Board of Works.
From A. G. Balkwell asking to be allowed 8 cts per yd for dirt delivered on Homer St. Referred to the Board of Works.
From J. R. Foster et al petitioning for the grading of Seymour St. South. Referred to the Board of Works.
From H. F. Keefer et al petitioning for the grading of the lane in Block 10, 196. Referred to the Board of Works.
From John Devine asking for an increase of salary. Referred to the Finance Committee.
From D. McCallum asking for the payment of the balance of an account. Referred to Finance Committee.
From W. Seitz, Secretary of the Jockey Club, asking for a portion of the East Park for a Race Track. Filed.
From John P. Lawson submitting a report on Sewerage. Referred to the Board of Works.
[volume 3 page 15]
Works No 14
The Board of Works met on Thursday May 9th 1889.
Present Aldermen Brighouse, Horne and McConnell.
We beg to recommend:
1. That John Cartwright’s offer to construct a sidewalk in front of his hotel on Campbell Avenue be accepted and that he be refunded the cost thereof when there are funds on hand for the purpose.
2. That Seymour Street between Davie and Smithe Streets be graded full width and a sidewalk laid thereon six feet wide and that the work be proceeded with at once estimated cost $1,560.00
3. That Princess Street between Carl Avenue and Hawks Avenue be graded full width.
4. That J. M. Lefevre be permitted to move a building situated on the corner of Hastings and Seymour Streets to a point without the fire limits.
5. That the 10 ft plank roadway on Pender Street between Howe Street and the stables be lifted and laid on the east side of Burrard Street for a sidewalk commencing at Dunsmuir Street and running north as far as Hastings Street to make a continuous sidewalk from Dunsmuir Street to Hastings Street and that Pender Street be gravelled.
6. That the waste earth at the South end of Dunlevy Avenue be used to grade
[volume 3 page 16]
Westminster Avenue between Prior Street and False Creek Bridge.
7. That Cambie Street between Hastings and Water Streets be gravelled and that Homer, Seymour and Richards Streets be gravelled from Hastings to Cordova and that part of Drake Street be filled by excavations made by contractor Bunker.
8. That street crossings be put down at the crossing of Georgia and Seymour Streets and at the corner of Georgia and Richards Streets.
9. That plans and specifications for a fountain be called for, to be placed at the corner of Hastings and Carrall Streets cost not to exceed $2,000.00.
10. That the following accounts be paid:
D. J. McDonald, Gravel $501.78
do Sec 2. Hastings St. 409.05
Frank Cerra, Sixth Av. 91.00
H. Connacher, Powell Streets etc. 240.77
Goodmurphy & McLellan, Howe St. 27.00
McMillan & Kelly Burrard St. 222.68
Boyd & Clandenning, Hastings St. etc. 1,012.78
Starrett & Leatherdale, Drayage 12.25
Thos. Beckett, Lettering 6.00
Alex McDonald, Express 25 cts
Hayden & Walker, Boat hire 2.25
Philip Fewster & Co. Feed 1.97
Thos. Stephenson, Horse hire 5.00
Palmer Bros. Feed 2.70
Royal City Planing Mills Co. 118.67
H. Blyth et al, Street Work 277.25
Alderman Horne and McConnell desire to know upon what authority those
[volume 3 page 17]
portions of Abbott and Dupont Streets in the vicinity of the Opera House were gravelled.
We beg further to report that a telephone line to the cemetery will cost $70.00 and the monthly rental will be $4.00.
Sgd. S. Brighouse, Chairman
Moved by Alderman Oppenheimer seconded by Alderman Brewer. That the report of the Board of Works be referred to the Finance Committee. Carried.
Moved by Alderman Brighouse seconded by Alderman Brewer. That a Committee consisting of the following members of the Municipal Council be appointed to arrange with the British Columbia Jockey Club for the lease of a site under the control of the club in the eastern park near Hastings sufficiently large for the construction of a Race Course and other purposes in connection with the aims and objects of the club viz. Aldermen McConnell, Clark and Costello and the mover and report same to Council. Carried.
The Council then adjourned.
D. Oppenheimer, Mayor
Thos. F. McGuigan, City Clerk