Gaoler's Mews, Vancouver, BC

Four Prisoners Break Out – Oct 19, 1896

Four prisoners escaped from the city lock up, which was said to be “most insecure, badly constructed”. Prisoners apparently used a saw to cut their way out during “boisterous” Salvation Army services when the noise would not be noticed. Two or three “paupers” boarding at the jail (!) were blamed for not alerting the guards that the prisoners were planning an escape.
“Nuisance Shacks” To Be Demolished – September 21, 1896

“Nuisance Shacks” To Be Demolished – September 21, 1896

Location of the “Nuisance Shacks” are shown in red here in this illustration. Mr. J.D. Langlois complained that the police had “miscounted” the effects of Mr. Atcheson, whose heirs had received only $30 of the $35 they should have done. Miss Macfie reported she was “annoyed by chickens at the hospital”!
Vermilyea Block, 869 Granville St. Vancouver

Sun Life Water Rebate Turned Down – September 14, 1896

The Sun Life Assurance Company asked for a water rebate for Vermilyea Blocks Granville St. {869 and 927 Granville, pictured here}. They didn’t get the rebate. The Chief of Police was asked to investigate after Alex C. Webster complained of a case of “light bread” (the city standard was 1.5 lb per loaf). The Water and Market Committee brought a bill of $235 from the Department of Indian Affairs for the Water Works right of way through the Indian reservation.
Bailey Photo Studio exterior, Vancouver BC, 1894

“Fire Escape Act” mandatory for all new buildings – October 1, 1894

The Board of Works reviewed an application from the Bailey Brothers for a brick extension at the rear of their store (pictured here). The Fire Inspector to notify architects and building permit applicants that all new buildings must conform to the “Fire Escape Act 1894” passed at the last session of the [British Columbia] Legislature. Mayor R. A. Anderson appointed Aldermen Salsbury, McDowell, McCraney, Franklin and C.L. Brown to draft necessary changes to the Vancouver Charter.
Sentell home on Grove Crescent

Street Railway By-Law to “Take its Course” – June 25, 1894

The City Engineer instructed to examine the “stability” of the Market Hall to accommodate large meetings. A motion to withdraw the Street Railway By-Law was overturned, and the By-Law allowed to “take its course”. Two bondsmen required at $250 each to guarantee the Race Course will be left in good repair at the end of the lease. Dr. Kendall refused to hand over the rock crushing plant “except under certain conditions” although his contract with the City had expired.